The Long Road Ahead

"To achieve their sporting goals New Zealand's top young tennis players must follow the domestic and international circuit around the globe. The cost of attending these events presents a barrier in achieving their potential, and there are very few avenues of support funding available to help them in these emerging years. Tennis players develop at different rates and much can be gained by battling away on the Futures and Challenger tours. This process takes time and it is important for New Zealand's young players not to be discouraged if success is not immediate. For that reason, on their behalf, we ask your help." - David Frank (Tennis Northern CEO)

Sunday 19 June 2011

On the road again

Since my last blog I have still been battling with my shoulder injury and was in Holland for a month doing rehab, getting back into some training, interclub and tournaments.

I played interclub matches for the ETV Volley Tennis Club, winning my singles and for the first time I played a mixed doubles which was certainly an experience, but we won so that helped the team a lot!

A few of the players from the academy and myself travelled up to Almere to do a Futures tournament. It was tough, I lost first round qualifying against a guy from Belgium ranked 720.  Didn't play as well as I had hoped!

Overall I had a good time in Holland, met plenty of nice people. The family and club took good care of me. I would like to thank Rhis Siegers, the physio on the off chance he sees this for the healing of my shoulder. Thanks Rhis.

Just last week I played my first tournament back on hard court in a small town in inland Spain. I still wasn't feeling that good mentally, although having a couple of good wins in the first rounds of qualifying was good before going down to the top seed in a tight 2 ½ hour match 4 and 4.

This week I am in Melilla, which is a small coastal town in northern Morocco, but Spanish territory, so I caught a ferry from Malaga to here, which was a peaceful experience as I just sat in the lounge for 3 hours. Lots of fog so no photos from the ferry. No extra fees for overweight baggage either!

Feeling a bit more positive this week, I am staying with a friend from Holland - Miliaan Niesten who scraped through into main draw. We are training hard together and trying to stay healthy, I have to remember I am now in North Africa and the water is not drinkable from the taps here like at home.

That's all from me for now, just looking forward to seeing some NZ faces soon in England!

Anton

No comments:

Post a Comment